Fitness Tips August 1, 2010
Here are your three fitness tips for the week:
1) Break free from the dark and KNOW where your food comes from. We the people must vote, with our forks and our dollars, for acceptable and exceptional food quality and humane animal treatment in this country. Know what you are eating and what you are buying. Watch this video, Meet Your Meat, to gain some education about the food you put into your mouth and to learn a little bit about what is happening on Factory Farms. Expand…grow…learn…the time for change is NOW. Let’s raise the bar for ourselves and our children!
2) Think of one thing you do the same every week or day in and day out. Do you ever consider changing it up or improving? Why not? Let go of old ways of thinking and access awareness. Break FREE from your lack and limiting beliefs…they are old stories that do not serve you any longer. Try something you think you cannot do and just keep saying “Wait…What if I CAN?”
3) Get on the ORGANIC, WHOLE FOOD train. I am serious…this is your health, your life, and the future of our race and planet I am talking about. Eliminate the pesticides, hormones, and antibiotics you consume daily through your food. This is an outrage. Buy as much organic fruits and veggies as you can. If you eat meat, make sure it is organic, free roaming, grass fed, antibiotic free, hormone free, and pesticide free. You will thank me for it later.
If you have any questions or just want to learn more about the food you are consuming, please email me right away at ELM.Coaching@yahoo.com. We cannot depend on our government, or anyone else for that matter, to make these changes for us. It is up to us to speak with our actions and empower ourselves with knowledge. The more we know, the more power and opportunity for wellness we have. As I said before, the time for change is NOW.
That’s a wrap for this week. Take a deep breath and let these Tips sink in. I am here to listen, help and guide you, and to support you. Let’s get healthy and stay that way! Here’s To Your Health, Wellness, and Vitality!!!
Hey guys! Here are some of the highlights of my 4 Power Steps to Living a Life You Love in a Body You Love talk I gave a couple of weeks ago. I am working on putting this information as well as some other power information into an E-Book. Stay tuned for information regarding that and how you can purchase it! 🙂
4 Power Steps to Living a Life You Love in a Body You Love- if you implement these 4 things into your life…your entire life will change
1) Vital nutrients through proper nutrition
– whole and organic foods (grows out of the ground or has a mom) vs processed junk foods
– foods that fit your bio-individuality (blood type, job schedule, energy requirements, activity level)
– know your food…you are what you eat
– Build a solid foundation of lean muscle tissue for an efficient metabolism
– Consistency is Key… “good day show up do the work…bad day show up do the work.” Eventually, your foundation will work for you and carry you through the tough times
– Keep it interesting so you don’t get bored and so you keep shocking the body to break through plateaus
3) Get Health Coaching
– we all need help, so ask the professionals…that’s what we study all day every day! No one, not even me, can do it alone, there is always more to learn and know
– we are so pressured to look and be a certain way, especially women in LA…but as a health coach, I teach my clients to follow good health and feeling good from the inside out. The aesthetic aspect will follow if you are healthy. If we diet and exercise to please others, to be accepted, or to fit in…we will end up feeling demotivated and burnt out at some point. The number one person worth getting fit and healthy for…is YOU.
– Practice the Crowding Out Method– learn how to add healthy things in to support your goals, therefore allowing the unhealthy things to fall away more easily and naturally, rather than eliminating everything you love and reaching a place of deprivation.
4)Ask Yourself Good Questions
– it is important to ask yourself questions all the time, so that you are always checking in with what your intention is and where your motivation is coming from. In my E-Book, coming soon, I will share with you my”4 Power Questions” that will help you determine what’s getting in your way of Living the Life YOU love in a Body YOU Love.
Please email me at ErinLanahanMethod@gmail.com for a FREE Health Consultation. Here’s To Your Health, Wellness, and Vitality!
What’s Feeding You? May 18, 2010
Hello friends! What is new and good with you? I’d love to hear all about it! Today I want to talk to you more in-depth about Primary Food. I have gotten a lot of feedback from previous blog posts on this topic, and what I am hearing is that the content really resonates with a lot of you. Good! That is what I was hoping! When something makes sense to us…we cannot deny it. For those of you who don’t know about Primary Food, let me quickly explain. Or, you can refer back to these articles as well: Primary Food/Secondary Food and Who’s Hungry.
There are two types of food we need to fuel us and feed us. Primary food, number one, and Secondary food, number two. Primary Food consists of things such as career, relationships, intimacy, exercise, spirituality, fun, rest, and all the things in life that feed us on a soul level.
Secondary Food, is food that we eat. We need a certain amount of nutrients on our plates in order to live an optimal life. We also need the right nutrients from our Primary food, to live an optimal life.
So many people walk around, starved of Primary Food, but thinking they are hungry for secondary food. So they eat and eat, but never feel full. This has become a large, growing problem in society today.
What I do is help people identify patterns. I look at the things that seem to show up over and over again in their lives, and then determine if it’s a primary or secondary food issue. A lot of times, they both need to be addressed, but typically, when one is fed with proper primary food, their hunger for secondary food levels out.
For example, last night I had a coaching call with a client. She has been struggling with food for a good part of her life. In her adult life however, she gets really frustrated because she does really “well” during the week, and “falls off the wagon” on the weekends. She says by Friday, she just gets to a point of not caring anymore. She experiences feelings of being stuck, and feels defeated by the belief that she will NEVER get to her goal. She has thoughts of “I don’t care” and “what’s the point anyway” running through her head. Once the weekend hits, she feels as though she “deserves to do whatever she wants.” So she rebels with food. She eats and drinks whatever she wants because “she doesn’t care, what’s the point anyway, and she deserves to do something that feels good since she’s deprived of feeling good all week.” Sound familiar to any of you? I know I use to experience something very familiar in my life.
It was obvious to both of us, that clearly she wasn’t hurting anyone but herself, so her question was…”Why do I keep doing this?” After asking her a bunch of questions, I realized that the ONLY real joy she gets in life is coming from food. That’s when it hit me that we weren’t dealing with a secondary food issue at all! It was a primary Food issue, and she was not being deprived of food she eats. She was deprived of the food that feeds her Soul! So I began to ask her questions about her job. I had her list out the pros and cons, what she liked and disliked, loved and hated, etc. I began to hear the same pattern, the same voice, the same words. She kept saying, “I just feel stuck, and I don’t care about what I’m doing, but I feel like I cannot do what I really want to do career wise, until I get married and have the security of a husband and his job.” So I began asking her about what she felt passionate about, and what she would do if anything were possible. It was amazing, how similar the voices were that came out of her when talking about food and her job. They were “I don’t care”, “I feel stuck”, and ” I’ll never get what I really want.”
What is happening for her, is that she is not doing a job that feels authentic to her. While there are things about it she really enjoys, it does not inspire her in any real way. Most days, she forces herself to do things she really “doesn’t care about,” and as a result, she ends up bringing the “not caring” into her food choices. The patterns we identified with her secondary food, helped guide me towards looking at where those patterns were being played out in her life with primary food.
Needless to say, we now have her on a path to making small shifts towards a more fulfilling career for her, one that feels good in her heart, that she truly cares about. As a result, I am sure she will begin to notice, as she gets more nurtured on the soul level, she will reach for junk food less and less.
Do you have patterns with food that replay themselves over and over? You may be suffering from a Primary Food deficiency. A lack in Primary Food can feel very defeating, when trying to use Secondary Food to replace it. It will never work. Secondary food, alcohol, caffeine, drugs, and cigarettes simply CANNOT and WILL NOT fill the role of Primary food in your life. I suggest doing what we did. Take a look at all the areas in your life, and begin to find what you like and dislike. What is full and what is lacking?Then take everything you like, and move closer to those things, by finding ways to implement more of them into your life, or exploring options that are in alignment with your “likes”. Please let me know what some of your challenges may be. I’d also love to hear what is working well for you! I am also available for Health Coaching. If you’d like a FREE Consultation, please email me at ErinLanahanMethod@gmail.com. Here’ s To Your Health, Wellness, and Vitality!
Check out my favorite Food Guide Pyramid. What do you notice that makes it uniquely different from the USDA Food Guid Pyramid?
Who’s Hungry??? April 29, 2010
Hi there! Man, I have missed you guys. I took a week off last week, from blogging and writing my newsletter, because I have had so much on my plate lately! However, as a result of my mini break, I have a whole new appreciation for this delightful mug of peppermint tea I am sipping on…ahhhh 🙂
Do you ever notice how difficult it can feel sometimes, to keep a healthy balance between work and play, or being productive and being productively lazy??? I must admit I am guilty of forgetting this on a daily basis. When we are so hungry to achieve certain goals, we can end up starving ourselves of other nutrients we really need and require in order to function optimally. I talk about life in nutrition terms because everything we need is a form of food for us. Are you familiar with the terms Primary Food and Secondary Food? I teach these terms to my clients because it’s important for them to understand that there is more than just one form of food and many ways in which we get hungry and need to be fed. Do you feel hungry??? What are you feeling hungry for?
You see, Primary Food consists of things like career, spirituality, relationships, exercise, intimacy, rest and relaxation, fun, etc. We must be fed in all these areas in order to be properly nourished. Secondary Food, is actual food that we eat, and it also must consist of all the nutrients we need for our bodies to maintain a functional existence. The last few months I have made the mistake of putting some areas of my primary food, such as rest, relaxation, and fun, on the back burner so to speak. As a result, I have grown extremely stressed out, overwhelmed, and full of tension. THIS IS NOT THE GOAL!!! I eat very healthily , fulfilling my secondary food requirements, I exercise regularly, I am growing and loving my business, have great relationships, and I am consistent with my spiritual practice. However, WHAT’S THE POINT of achieving all these things, if I am walking around on the verge of a breakdown all the time??? Seriously, at one point last week, my business coach looked at me and literally stopped our session dead in the middle because my face looked so distraught! Yes, we had a time out 🙂 She, among several others, told me that I needed to let go a bit and chill out. It was a bit shocking to me that it was that obvious, by taking one look at me, that I needed a break! LOL! So I decided to do what had been suggested to me by some very credible sources in my life. I am feeling so much better now as a result. I am so grateful that I have been reminded of the value that rest, relaxation, and fun can bring to my life.
My point is…we tend to forget that such a big part of being healthy is the way in which we ALLOW ourselves to ENJOY the fruits of our labor. It is so important that we seek out balance between healthy productivity and healthy laziness. They are both required if we expect to maintain a healthy state of mind and a healthy body. Sometimes, we can make ourselves sick by trying to be so healthy and perfect all the time.
What areas of your life do you feel you may be neglecting? How might you feed yourself in some ways other than with food? Many people misunderstand their primary food hunger for secondary food hunger, and try to eat until they are full. The result…they consume more calories and NEVER FEEL FULL. Same thing goes for someone who is trying to fill their primary needs for fun by working too much…it aint gonna happen!!! Even when you LOVE your job, work and fun are two different nutrients, and we need them BOTH! Take a look at all the categories you consider to make up a “FULL” life for you. Then write down the areas that may be lacking in your life. What are some things you can do to fill yourself back up again in those areas? If you ever find yourself eating yourself into oblivion on the couch…you may be trying to fill a hole that cannot be filled with food. If you are always go, go, go, trying to get to the place of being “happy,” why don’t you try taking a day or two off instead, and actually give yourself the time to BE happy. On that note, I’ll share the quote on my Yogi Peppermint Tea with you, lol. “Real happiness lies in that which never comes nor goes, but simply is.”
I encourage you to shop in the grocery store of life, and pick out the things that will feed your primary needs first. Please share your questions and comments here with me. I look forward to hearing from you. Here’s To Your Health, Wellness, and Vitality!!!
Please take a minute to review the Integrative Nutriton Food Guide Pyramid and Live a balanced life 🙂